Homemade: Mexi-inspired, Bean, Avocado and Tomato Salad
Until now, this blog has been all about about eating out, which yes, I do do a lot of. But believe it or not, I like to prepare food for myself, too, and sometimes it’s not half bad. As I live in a share house where everyone does their own cooking, I tend to favour simple, healthy, easy-clean-up meals that I can toss together quickly. While I do like to keep the cost low and wastage to minimum, I don’t like to compromise on quality either… tempting as those packets of Mi goreng are!
So with that in mind, the recipes I post here will be mostly speedy, cheap, fresh meals that might be right for work lunches, tuesday night dinners or pre-party snacks. While I aim to inspire you, making yummy things is a constant learning curve for me too, so any feedback you have is very welcome!
This all-veggie salad is not only super-duper good for you, it’s generous and satisfying enough to suffice as a main meal. Best of all, it takes literally minutes to make.
– 125g can of red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
– 125g can of corn kernels, rinsed and drained
– handful of fresh green beans, lightly steamed*
– 1 tomato, de-seeded and chopped
– handful of continental parsley
– handful of coriander
– Splash of olive oil
– squeeze of lemon or lime juice
– chilli flakes, salt and pepper, to taste
Place all ingredients in a large bowl and toss well. Transfer to a serving bowl, grab a fork and eat!
* A great cheat’s way of steaming veggies: rinse in cold water, seal in a plastic bag and zap in the microwave for forty seconds. Voila! Crsip, cooked greens without all the pots and pans.